Rascal Loves Food


Sunday, April 13, 2008

****Food and social connection ****

I have always found food to be a bonding experience, and I believe that most people would agree with me. Three years ago, my husband and I moved to Seattle, leaving behind all of our friends and family. I especially miss my Mom, as her and I are extremely close. Whenever I head back to the Chicago land area, my Mom and I have a tradition. She picks me up, and we head home, where we make one of our favorite h’orderves of all time – taco dip. We start by mixing the taco seasoning with sour cream and spreading it out in a glass baking dish. Then we take a head of lettuce and a tomato and chop them up into bite sized pieces. The lettuce and the tomato are then spread over the sour cream mixture. We top off the lettuce and tomato with cheddar cheese and black olives. Then my Mom and I, and sometimes my sister if she is home, each open a Diet Coke, sit down at the table, and enjoy our taco dip with tortilla chips. We all talk and catch up, and always comment about how nice it is to talk face to face, over taco dip.

Recipe:

1 container of sour cream (could also use a block of soften cream cheese)
1 packet of taco seasoning
1-2 cups of iceberg lettuce
½ - 1 cup of chopped tomato (could also use fresh salsa)
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
½ cup of black olives
Tortilla chips

Combine sour cream and taco seasoning, spread in a glass baking dish
Chop lettuce and tomato, spread over mixture
Sprinkle cheese over lettuce and tomato
Top with black olives
Serve cold with tortilla chips

No comments: